Friday, August 10, 2012

Oscar.

I realize that if I was a really good blogger, I would have made some of these posts before this athletes started competing in their respective events. But I was busy and unfortunately can't spend all day writing about the olympics. However, to be fair, I mentioned Oscar Pistorius in my Day 1 update.

By now you know who this guy is. Born without full legs and then had them amputated to the knee when he was 13-months-old. He has been a successful para-athlete and has now worked his way from the Paralympics to the Olympics.

There has been a lot of controversy on whether or not his carbon prostethics give him an added advantage over other competitiors. Some say he can't become injured as easily or tire out as quickly. But I think that he can still get injured and doctors say that the spring in his prostetics don't give any more of a bounce than the ligaments we able-bodied people have in our legs. My point is that if it did give him or other amputees and advantage, why wouldn't they all be qualifying for the Olympics?

Either way you want to look at it, it's incredible to look at what obsitcales he has put behind him and what he has accomplished. The spirit and fight that someone like him has just amazes me.

I think it was very powerful and moving to watch him compete in the 400m. I will never forget it. But what I certainly will never forget was Kirani James, the Grenadian and eventual winner of the 400m, asking to trade bibs with Pistorius after the race. James is someone that has overcome a lot and is an inspiration in his own right. Not only won the first ever Olympic medal for Grenada, but he won it in gold. Yet it was James who was inspired by Pistorius and wanted something to remember that ground-breaking moment. I cry just thinking about it.

Here is Pistorius on the Today show talking about that race and what happened with James afterwards. THIS is why I love the Olympics.


Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

No comments:

Post a Comment