Wednesday, August 1, 2012

U-S-A!

Last night was good stuff, wasn't it?

I'm sure you can imagine that I was stoked that the U.S. won gold in women's gymnastics. The team was confident, solid and just amazing. And how about that vault from Maroney? If a perfect 10 still existed, that would have for sure been one. It's not like the team won by a small margin. It wasn't even close in the end. I loved every second of it.

There were also some great races in the pool, including some Olympic history. Michael Phelps has had some problems out of the water that have been publicized, and honestly he didn't really do anything different than a lot of people his age, so some people don't necessarily like him. But you can't deny what he has accomplished. We are all very lucky to have watched him compete because there is a very strong chance there will never be someone else like him.

I loved seeing a U.S. relay team finally win gold and in a dominant style. I hope that built up some confidence for Lochte (he needs it). The incredible thing is that Phelps lost the 200m butterfly basically in the same way he won the 100m butterfly in 2008. It wasn't as close but still very reminiscent. What I found the most interesting is that in a post-meet interview Phelps admitted that at times he is lazy in practice about finishing off a swim and touching the wall. He said that he thinks that is the reason he didn't win. I believe him and respect him for admitting that.

I'm sad Missy Franklin didn't medal in the 200m freestyle but was very happy for Allison Schmitt and her victory. Although the U.S. only got a bronze in the 200m IM, you would have thought by the emotion on Caitlin Leverenzs' face she had won the gold. Very touching.

I've been in an athletic department retreat all day and didn't have time to gather any videos from yesterday's stuff before events started today. I purposely get off all news and social media sites around noon every day so I don't find out any spoilers. You can be sure I'll find some women's gymnastics videos to post on here once it's safe for me to roam the internet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment