Sunday, August 12, 2012

What to watch for - Day 17.

Well, here we are. Day 17. I appreciate you allowing me to fill your inbox everyday with these emails and I promise this is the last one.

Most the medals being handed out today are in the finals of some of the team sports and then the men’s marathon. The marathon is over by now and the only team sport left that involves the U.S. is men’s basketball.

Team USA has been expected to win the gold medal all along and today is their chance to actually do it. After falling way short of expectations in Athens, the U.S. men have been very strong and are looking for its second straight Olympic championship. No doubt you’ve heard the back-and-forth squabble of whether or not this team is better than the Dream Team. I’m not going to join this argument, but I will say that I wish it were possible to actually see a game between the two teams. But today the U.S. faces Spain, the same team they beat in the 2008 final. They can and should win. If they lose, there is no longer an argument as to which team is better.

Then tonight we have the closing ceremony. While the opening ceremony is heavy with anticipation, emotion and spectacle, the closing is more like a giant celebration. The music director for the closing ceremony, David Arnold, is calling it “the greatest after-party in the world.” Saying, “If the opening ceremony was the wedding, then we’re the wedding reception.”

Well, I love wedding receptions, so I’m excited for this one. The show will include performances of 30 British hit singles from the past five decades. The Who, George Michael, Muse and Ed Sheeran have all said they will take part in the show and some photos have also leaked of the Spice Girls. I sure hope the Spice Girls rumor is true. It’s what I want, what I really, really want.

Organizers say they want the ceremony to be a “cheeky” reflection of modern Britain, so maybe we can expect a little Monty Python type humor. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sir Paul McCartney appears again as well. I mean, what is British music without The Beatles? Also, The Daily Mail published photos of what it said was the set, which included reconstructions of London landmarks like St. Paul’s Cathedral and Tower Bridge.

Carrying the U.S. flag in the closing ceremony will be track athlete Bryshon Nellum. Nellum, who won a silver medal in the 4x400m, was chosen because of the amazing comeback he had to get to the Olympics. Nellum was shot in both thighs and one hamstring while walking home near the USC campus his freshman year of college. He overcame three surgeries to race again, the last of which was performed only a year ago.

If you’re like me and love a good video montage, tonight is the night! At the end of the NBC broadcast tonight they will show all the best parts of the last two weeks and since 2002 it’s been set to the score from Remember the Titans. It will happen during the closing credits of the broadcast, right after Bob Costas give us his final thoughts. I hope you enjoy it as much as I always do.

I will sure miss the Olympics, but I’m not sure I’ll miss the emotional rollercoaster it constantly puts me on. If you haven’t seen something over the last 17 days that hasn’t touched your heart in some way or caused you to cry, I don’t know what will.

While this is my last email, I’ll keeping blogging at paigeonlondon.blospot.com if you wish to continue reading my thoughts on the games.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment